Thursday, January 4, 2018

Recipe - Organic Ointment AKA Petroleum Jelly Alternative (Vaseline)

How many of you grew up using Vaseline on your skin? My parents always kept a giant tub of it at home and used it for elbows, knees, heels and even hands and face if it was particularly dry or chapped.  When my oldest was born, I was gifted a tub by a well meaning couple.  Thinking nothing of it, I used it much the same way my parents did.  Come to find out a few months later that my pediatrician DOESN'T recommend using it on kids!  Hence my scramble to find an alternative!

I found a product that I really liked called Waxelene - its marketed as "The Petroleum Jelly Alternative" and Cloth Diaper Friendly.  There are only a handful of ingredients: Organic Soy Oil, Beeswax, Natural Vitamin E oil, and Organic Rosemary oil.  It was thick and malleable like petroleum jelly but slightly less potent.  After my second tub of this awesome stuff, I realized my reasons for liking this product (over some others I've tried) is the same reason I should try making it myself.  Short ingredient list, organic oils, and uses (mostly) stuff I already had at home.  After a quick Google search and a few trials of different recipes, I came across this one from Frugally Sustainable [Original recipe HERE].  Here is my version with a few alterations:


Organic Ointment AKA Petroleum Jelly Alternative

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup organic coconut oil 
  • 6 heaping tablespoons beeswax (these beeswax pastilles are so much easier to work with)
  • 1/4 cup organic olive oil 
  • 2 heaping tablespoon lanolin
  • 1/8 cup organic vitamin E oil from Trader Joe's (its a mix of soybean oil and vitamin E hence the large jump in volume. If you have pure vitamin E, stick with the original 1 tsp vitamin E and 1/8 cup Soybean/caster oil)

Method

  1. In a small sauce pan, over low to medium heat, warm coconut oil and beeswax until melted.
  2. Remove from heat and add olive oil, lanolin, and vitamin E oil.
  3. Using a hand mixer, whisk until all ingredients are well combined.
  4. Continue to whisk as mixture cools, whisk until mixture is creamy.
  5. Pour from pan into a 4 ounce glass jar (I keep these on hand at all times) or any other appropriate storage container of your choosing.
  6. Optional - Feel free to add a few drops of your favorite aromatherapy oil or enjoy the natural scent of the beeswax.
This homemade product will keep fresh on the counter for up to a year.  You can skip the whisking if you don't have a hand mixer but it will be more like a salve.  If you would like the mixture to be more creamy and less thick, decrease the beeswax by 1 tbs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recipe - Keto Fresh Orange Cranberry Muffin Recipe

After a VERY long break, we're back!  We're re-dedicating this blog to all mommy related things - minus the bra making track.  Bra m...