After a VERY long break, we're back! We're re-dedicating this blog to all mommy related things - minus the bra making track. Bra making related makes now has its own dedicated blog.
We had an overabundance of fresh navel oranges and a need for breakfast items. Remembering that I had once made some yummy Orange Cranberry muffins using a WHOLE orange (skin and all), I decided to pull it out again. This recipe was particularly memorable not because it was delicious but incredibly scary! An entire orange! WITH SKIN!
It had been quite a number of years since I've made this recipe but I decided to try to make this keto (as most of my breakfast items are these days). Since I was already making adjustments, I went ahead and dialed back the sugar level and upped the protein.
KETO FRESH ORANGE CRANBERRY MUFFIN RECIPE
- 1 LG navel orange, about 12 oz / 340 g, preferably organic
- 4 LG eggs
- ½ CUP Greek yogurt
- ¼ CUP sugar (we like Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener)
- 1 TSP almond extract
- 6½ TBS coconut flour
- 5 TBS almond flour (a bit more if you like a denser muffin)
- 4 TBS Protein Powder (we like Standard Process Vanilla)
- ½ TBS baking powder
- ½ TSP baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup dried cranberry, roughly chopped
- 4 TBSP coconut oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C)
- Wash orange and trim of about 1⁄2 inch (1.2 cm) off two ends.
- Cut the orange into 8 pieces (remove any seeds) and put in the blender.
- Add eggs, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, sugar and almond extract in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix. No need to baby it as there's no flour and no gluten to develop.
- Add dried cranberries (save a small handful for sprinkling on top) and melted butter in the mixing bowl and fold in with a spatula.
- Divide the batter into 24 mini muffin cups, top with cranberry (if desired) and bake for 12-15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Wait for 3 minutes and move the muffins to a cooling rack, let it cool for 10 minutes before eating.