Saturday, May 27, 2017

Cheese and Veggie Mini Muffins

Trying out a a new recipe.  Those who know me know I love me my mini muffin pan.  Bite sized treats that don't require any cutting and eliminates any squabbles over size.  Behold my newest attempt:


Recipe adapted from Learn with Play
I usually make mini muffins for my boys to help with the veggie and fiber intake.  They freeze well and can be reheated in microwave or defrosted in the fridge.  They make breakfast very easy.  My oldest insisted that these were REALLY yummy as opposed to the usual yummy.  Win win!


I made my usual adjustments - replace some of the all purpose with wheat flour and coconut flour to increase the fiber content.  A bit of chia seed and flax seed for the health benefits.  I used a combo of swiss, smoked cheedar and parmesean for the cheese as it was what I had on hand. Frozen veggies work well in this recipe as does bits of frozen ham!


Cheese and Veggie Mini Muffins


Ingredients: 

  • 250 grated cheese (approx 2 cups)
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 3 tsp chia seed
  • 1 tsp flax seed  
  • 4 tsps of baking powder to each cup of plain flour)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups of milk
  • 1/2 cup chopped honey ham
  • 1/2 bundle of spinach
  • Other random veggies finely diced.
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Ingredients: 

Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F)

Sift flour into a large bowl.

In blender, combine the flax seed, eggs, spinach and milk.

Make a well in the flour, add in the rest of the ingredients and mix until combined.

Spoon into a greased muffin tray and bake for 12-18 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.  Add more time if you like the cheese crispy but note that the muffin will be a bit drier.

I omitted the salt and pepper as I find the cheeses (Parmesan specifically) imparts enough salt.

Makes approximately 36 mini muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recipe - Keto Fresh Orange Cranberry Muffin Recipe

After a VERY long break, we're back!  We're re-dedicating this blog to all mommy related things - minus the bra making track.  Bra m...